permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Used Septic Tanks for Rainwater?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jody Troupe <jodyt2@mac.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Used Septic Tanks for Rainwater?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 16:32:59 -0500

Hi Josh & Perm community-

I saw Carol give details as to how to clean out a septic, but I thought I'd pass along the location where septics are being used as cisterns.

I live in the Florida keys. There are a number of keys that are still set up on septic systems but there is infrastructure being put in place to get more of the keys onto a centralized waste treatment facility (at a cost we hear of $25,000 per household in our area!! Yikes.)

The Florida Keys Aquaduct Authority was on the radio this morning talking about this on-going transition and that $500 grants are being offered to those who put in cisterns. He commented that some people have transitioned their septic tanks into cisterns. He didn't give details on the clean up process, but I just thought I'd let you know that this is being done elsewhere!

JodyT