permaculture - [permaculture] Pick A Pomegranate - Boing Boing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Pick A Pomegranate - Boing Boing
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 02:25:32 -0500

Pick A Pomegranate - Boing Boing
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/11/26/pick-a-pomegranate.html
Boing Boing - A directory of wonderful things
Pick A Pomegranate
Posted by Dale Dougherty, November 26, 2008 6:27 PM | permalink
Nearly everyone knows the pomegranate, although it's probably more common on the West Coast. Its unusually tangy seeds seem designed for mindless, time-passing enjoyment. Pick up a pomegranate and pick out seeds all day long.

pom-flr3.jpg
http://www.boingboing.net//ddimg/pom-flr3.jpg

Here's a young, budding pomegranate in my garden on a dewy morning. An unseen spider has been playing "connect-the-dots" with the fruit.

About a month later, it's ready to tear apart and eat. The seeds are delicious in salads and they're a good match with fuyu persimmons.

DSC_0006.jpg
http://www.boingboing.net//ddimg/DSC_0006.jpg

"The birthplace of the pomegranate was here in the Kopet Dag Mountains of Central Asia. And here is one of the last places on earth where wild pomegranates grow.” Barbara Baer heard Russian botanist, Dr. Gregory Levin, speak those words on a BBC broadcast in 2001. Barbara eventually tracked down Levin in Turkmenistan and got him to write a book she published called "Pomengranate Roads." http://www.floreantpress.com/pomegranate_roads.htm

While we mostly find the "Wonderful" variety of pomegranate in stores and in nurseries but Levin had identified 1,117 different varieties -- with yellow, purple, even black seeds -- from twenty-seven countries on four continents. His story is one of dedication and persistence in the face of hardship -- to spend one's professional life collecting and studying with great seriousness this happy fruit.

Discussion
Take a look at this
#1 posted by strumpet windsock , November 26, 2008 6:41 PM

I like this fruit series. Good on you!

I have two potted pomegranates, three years old. No flowers yet, but they are
nice indoor bushes.

I learned a simple, amazing salad recipe from some turkish friends of mine - even quantities of pomegranate fruit, chopped walnuts, and pimento olives, including the water. These simple ingredients have an alchemical reaction which is outstanding. You must taste it to believe how good it is.
Take a look at this
#2 posted by Ivan Author Profile Page, November 26, 2008 6:49 PM

You can easily and quickly clean a pomegranate by filling a salad bowl with water and breaking up the fruit. I'm pretty sure the seeds float to the top, and the other bits go the bottom. No juice stains, and lots of seeds ready to eat quickly!
Take a look at this
#3 posted by Mark Temporis , November 26, 2008 7:17 PM

Pomegranites are sacred to the goddess Persephone, and featured prominently
in pagan celebrations concerning that goddess.
Take a look at this
#4 posted by dr.hypercube Author Profile Page, November 26, 2008 7:26 PM

Ivan - it's the other way around (I've been doing it a lot this fall) - arils sink, pulp floats, but that _is_ a good way. To make it even easier, cut off the blossom end, score the sides lightly and let sit in the water for 15 to 20 minutes. The fruit breaks apart even more easily.

I read Pomegranate Roads a while ago - enjoyed it thoroughly. My 2 fave fruits are from Central Asia - apples and pomegranates.

How 'bout a jujube post?
Take a look at this
#5 posted by Deche , November 26, 2008 7:30 PM

this fruit is called "grenade" in french, and there's a really common "sweet fruit drink to dilute" that's called "grenadine" (when it's usually made of strawberries and other red fruits)
this drink almost makes me sick, it's the typical thing to serve for young girls (boys would get lemon and orange... guess why...)

  • [permaculture] Pick A Pomegranate - Boing Boing, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 11/27/2008