permaculture - [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Read" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 11:50:40 +0100

Hello, Udan Farm,

Martial Arts teacher in South-east London always used to insist that one
should be a 'Jack of all trades and a Master of one' (for those who aren't
familiar with it the original is 'master of none'). I have always felt that
this was a fair discription of a good permaculture designer, although we can
of course aim to be master of more than one 'trade'.

So I agree in a way with Toby's analysis and as Nature is our University we
need to be in it and as he mentions keeping a hand in with the gardening etc
is probably essential.

Comparative advantage, again, people aren't uniform so some have
tendancies/aptitudes/abilities different to others, personally I much prefer
fiddling around with wood and metal to fiddling around with the shrubbery,
others vice versa, its a good thing that nature seems to teach us that
interconnected diversity tends to lead to stability.

Isabel, I imagine that you and your partner completed a PDC? When you say
"My Partner and I ARE evolving .......... to becoming (teachers) and
designers" leaving the 'teachers' to one side for the moment perhaps you
mean evolving to become better and better designers? Surely Permaculture
begins and ends with design, anyone completing a PDC is surely able to get on
with a goodish design?

Steve R