permaculture - [permaculture] Toby's comments on water

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Toby's comments on water
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 10:45:33 -0700 (PDT)

I don't understand how distilled water will not increase the removal of
wastes, but does increase the removal of nutrients.  It seems that the
body-as-filter analogy is being criticized in the first case, but utilized in
the second.  How can water leach out nutrients if it is not just flowing
through us?

Also, in places like rural Australia where drinking rainwater is common, has
there been any evidence of nutrient deficiencies (other than from the poor
soil their crops are grown in)?  And how common is it for people to put
limestone in their water tanks?

I'm especially interested in all this because I've been drinking only
rainwater for the past four years and plan to continue, but I do have the
option to drink springwater with a lot of dissolved nutrients in it,
including lime.

Rain