permaculture - [permaculture] Is the glass of water half full, or half empty? - Re: [SANET-MG] Sust Ag standard moves into high gear

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Chris Wardle" <cjwardle@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Is the glass of water half full, or half empty? - Re: [SANET-MG] Sust Ag standard moves into high gear
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 02:28:17 +0500

Fellow sustainability practitioners,
Is the glass of water half full or half empty - or is it just my lack of
experience on display?
As a 'lurking' member of this list and a permaculture "newbie" - completed
my Permaculture Design Course in Nepal in July 2008 - I defer to my more
experienced colleagues, but I can't help feeling that by closing ranks and
disparaging this standards initiative, we are missing out on an opportunity.
The thing that hit me when I first read the Leonardo Academy/Straus
Communications media release of 29/9/2008, was the very scary idea of GMO
crops gaining some mantle of respectability through a certification process.
However, one might reasonably assume that there is abundant scientific
evidence around for the certification panelists to see through such a
transparent marketing ploy - much like tobacco, alcohol or soft-drink
companies seeking to sponsor youth sporting activities, in the hope of being
seen as supporters of healthy living.
In my view, the worst advocacy outcome would be for forums the like this
newly formed Standards Committee to be reminded of the short-term greed and
long-term evils of the Monsanto and co juggernaut and at least be exposed to
the views of practicing permaculture people - if nothing more than as a cry
for sanity and real sustainability.
On the other side of the coin, there is scope for winning hearts and minds,
building and strengthening coalitions and having a positive impact through
policy-level advocacy.
Perspective is everything and effective advocacy demands an understanding of
alternative perspectives and taking them on.
However, picking up your marbles and going home, is NOT a strategy for long
term sustainability!
The media hype tells me that the Standards Committee is supposed to be about
agreeing on "First Steps Toward Building a National Consensus". Well, that
isn't going to happen until somebody over there in the US of A leaves the
farm - or the lectern - gets out of their comfort zone, picks up that glass
of water and has a sip.
Committee membership would appear to be closed and I don't know any of the
players to be clear as to whether any permies/greenies are on board. If they
are, let's ask what we can do to support them. If not, my common sense tells
me we need to find ways to engage with, not ignore, this behemoth.
As for defining sustainability, I like Dick Pierce's collection and would
contribute to it with:
"Living a life which contributes to the prana of the systems with which we
interact"; or
"More humility and generosity, less greed"; or just restate the permaculture
ethics of
"Care of Earth, Care of People, Fair Share".
Thanks for listening/reading and over to you.
Salaams from Quetta, Pakistan, on the second day of Eid,
Chris Wardle.
==========
email: cjwardle@gmail.com
skype: cjwardle
mobile: +92 333 784 1679
===========
View my profile on LinkedIn:
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/cjwardle>
FROM ORIGINAL MESSAGE DIGEST:
Scott Pittman wrote: ... I think we do a disservice by promoting this type
of hype on our listserve.
Christopher Nesbitt wrote: ... suggests to me that they intend to find a
place for GMOs in their "sustainable" world view. Hype is a very good word
for this prattle.
Steve Read wrote: I expect Lawrence included the text for information only
maybe? Not as promotion ...