permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Building with Vertical Garden in São Paulo, Brazil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Guilherme Neves Castagna <guilherme@permacultura.org.br>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Tony Andersen <firmamentha@gmail.com>, Brock Dolman <brock@oaec.org>, Ali Sharif <ahmadalisharif@yahoo.com>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Building with Vertical Garden in São Paulo, Brazil
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 11:42:37 -0300

Oh, how nice to see this here!

I'm the fellow behind this building hydraulic design

(see the "Hydraulic Installations" field over http://www.dezeen.com/2008/08/31/harmonia-57-by-triptyque/),

whereas another friend, Australian permaculturist Peter Webb has developed the green facades and landscaping, including the green roof. Apart from all the poetic stuff written on the article, we were largely motivated both by the occurance of severe stormwater floods right by the main street, as well as the longer dry seasons in the huge city of São Paulo. Its streets and avenues and impermeable pavement offer sure-floods during the rainy season, and a harsh dry climate during dry season, for its over 17 million inhabitants.

I used both drainage and rainwater for all non-potable uses in the building, and saving roughly 2 m3/day of chemically-treated "potable" water. It is quite common to see buildings discarding drainage water by the sidewalk all along the year in SP, so we perceived this as a unused resource and took advantage of its abundance, growing even more abundance. Permaculture offers a whole set of design principles for both urban and rural dwellers, and we act in the hope that it inspires ppl to build using integrated ecological designs, even more in big cities, where the need for such is imperative. Anyway, the whole water system is now working fine, being treated with no chlorine (main desinfection agent used all along Brazil), and plants are growing and alleviating the suffocating dryness of São Paulo (SP), reducing the need for energy-dependent air conditioning systems.

By the way, does anyone know what is the US or other countries regulations as to the use of water drained in shallow water tables? I'd also luv to exchange info on the removal or conversion of Fe3+ (present in the drainage water) with an appropriate "living machine" or equivalent ecological system.

All luv,

--
Gui Castagna - Design Ecológico
fone/fax: +55 (12) 3832-1476