permaculture - [permaculture] goat browzing..

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "NewNorth" <lynnann@newnorth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] goat browzing..
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 13:34:53 -0500

heya there, when I lived in far southern Illinois on my farmette, quite a few
moons ago, I had 20 acres and 8 milk goats. Down there in zone
6-8ish...sassafras trees grow like poplars do up here in Nord'ern
Wisconsin...fast and furious!!! Those goats mowed them down as fast as they
came up which was a good thing...only trouble was...if they got down far
enough to the ground level...their milk took on an anise flavor...not
horrible though.

Also...if poplar trees will grow...start a stand of them and segregate it
with a product that deer hunters use to enclose their "feed plots"of
clover...it's made by Messina Wildlife and comprised of a thin white woven
tape that is held up by fiber glass poles and then sprayed with a rosemary
peppermint spray occasionally to keep the deer away (goats ARE really deer in
disguise..or maybe it's the other way around). Then when the poplars go to
seed...usually the first year...let the goats at them...you should have
plenty more the next season...I know we do.

I NOW use and sell a wonderful herbal spray up here as a deer deterant called
I Must Garden...fabulous stuff...but the other product I mentioned is made
for keeping deer out of feed plots until hunting time and comes in a kit.
Good luck...I miss my girls terribly...now I'm too near a lake to have
any...mmmm...goat cheese, yogurt and soap... three favorite by-products (but
mostly I miss the love they gave)! love and peace to all...lynnann