permaculture - Re: [permaculture] what are your thoughts... Warming world sends plants uphill

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jordan@riseup.net
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] what are your thoughts... Warming world sends plants uphill
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 03:07:31 -0700 (PDT)

so, are you saying that plant communities will be disrupted first and
THEN ecosystem types will change as temperatures increase?

-j

>> so here is my question... why would global warming lead to increased
>> desertification and a benefit to grasses. in my bioregion Douglas firs
>> have evidence in the fossil record 50 million years, to the triassic and
>> confirmed fossils are found in navada in the eocene... which was warm
>> and
>> wet and tropical...
>>
>> I guess i don't see how warming will do what this article says...
>>
>> -j
>
> what the article actually says is:
>

>>> "Long-life plants, such as trees and shrubs, did not show significant
>>> shifts, whereas short-life species, such as herbs,
>>> showed a strong upward shift," he said.
>>>
>>> "Herbs, by having a short life cycle, have had several generations
>>> during
>>> a decade that allows for a faster dispersal of
>>> seeds.
>
> there are (at least) two posible explanations for this difference
> - trees react slower to temperature changes and therefore move slower
> - trees are less affected by temperature changes, and therefore move
> little or hardly at all
>
> the timescale of this study has obviously not allowed for a conclusive
> answer to which of the two is correct, or if something else entirely is
> going on.
>
> what may be happening is a change in the woodland ground flora, while the
> canopy remains relatively stable. that said, there has been a shift in
> british woodlands with beech moving further north, which is only partly
> related to them being planted where they wouldn't have occured naturally.
> still that would represent a change canopy composition rather than a
> wholesale change in ecosystem type.
>
> best
> tomas
>
> ---------------------------------
> ---------------------------------
>
> Tomas Remiarz - GreenLand Services
>
> Ecological Restoration
> Woodland Creation and Management
> Permaculture Design and Practice

> Google command to search archives:

"The seeds in our consciousness can function like anti-bodies. What is
important is that you continue to plant new seeds, the kind of seeds that
are both refreshing and healing. And if you just do that, by practicing
mindful living so that you can be in touch with the flower, with the
cypress tree, with the fresh air, with the beautiful eyes of the children,
then these seeds will be planted in yourself, and they will naturally take
care of the seeds of your suffering. You don't even have to touch them.
And that is something I think the practice of Buddhism can contribute to
psychotherapy in the west." - Thich Nhat Hahn