permaculture - Re: [permaculture] composting people

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] composting people
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 17:02:46 -0700

A friend of mine, Cynthia Beal, runs the Natural Burial Company, with compostable caskets and a lot of information on natural burial.
http://www.naturalburialcompany.com/

She told me that here in Oregon, and many other places, the law states that once land is a cemetery, it must remain a cemetery forever. That has interesting possibilities for land preservation. So she's working on setting up a string of cemeteries as greenbelts, wildlife corridors, and, ideally, permaculture landscapes. That could reduce the problem of Pc sites getting sold and destroyed.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Dick Pierce wrote:
I believe the concept of human composting is referred to in the trade as
"Natural Burial" an there is a kindly and somewhat informative website at
http://www.naturalburial.coop. I browsed it briefly and noted 2 sites in ME.
These still retain the cemetary concept; I didn't read far enough to see if
there were services that would bury a person on their property - hill-top,
orchard, etc.,. The later is my wish - I'd like apples or corn to grow or
feed grass-fed beef or chickens with my remains - or have the Lions come and
lay down on my grave as with Robert Finch-Hadden in "Out of Africa".

The above is slightly more acceptable to my family than the alternative
available here - a farmer friend with a large, wind-row compost area just
adds a dead cow/sheep to the wind-row, covers it with 8-10' of leaves/wood
chips and "compost happens." Either method is acceptable to me. - Ashes to
ashes, dust to dust, soil to soil.