permaculture - Re: [permaculture] An Unreasonable Woman

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Brooks Miller" <brooks.devin@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] An Unreasonable Woman
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:41:45 -0400

" I just read "An Unreasonable Woman." In lay terms, it is a easy to
understand look at small town politics and concerns about Seadrift and its
polluted waters."

I got to see Diane Wilson (the author) speak at the PASA conference in
February. Don't miss her if you have the opportunity. She spoke to a room
full of multigenerational, sustainable family farmers about watching your
way of life disappear, from a shrimper's perspective. She shoots from the
hip and tells it from the heart. She was an excellent, hilarious, and
emotional speaker.

And was the comment, "Of course all that is true but its better to get on
with your work and not worry about such things" serious? Wilson certainly
had no choice in the matter, and she couldn't get on with her work. People
like Joel Salatin deal with it everyday as well. What happens when that
party comes to your neck of the woods? Good luck "leaving it to the trolls"
then. I'm all for picking your battles, but when the battles get picked for
you, I hope those of us who produce food from healthy ecosystems come out on
top.

Brooks

  • Re: [permaculture] An Unreasonable Woman, Brooks Miller, 04/30/2008