permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The March of Kudzu.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Mathew Waehner" <waehner@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The March of Kudzu.
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:31:48 -0400

I think the ideal place for kudzu is on a green roof- its roots could live
in a single container (possibly hydroponic) and spread all over the roof.
The single container would weigh much less than covering the roof with soil,
and could be removed before winter snow weighed down the roof.

It may be dificult to eradicate kudzu, but it isn't hard to prevent it from
choking trees- vines thinner than about 3 inches are easily cut with a
serrated pocketknife, evern the older woodier vines can be carved with a
knife. On a hot day, the vines "gasp" when cut- you can hear them sucking
in air as they try to bring water to the leaves. Of course, the kudzu grows
back, but in five minutes you can give a tree another year of life.

Landscapes overcome by kudzu are a testament to our culture not caring for
the land.