permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Los Angeles backyard garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L. Santoyo" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Los Angeles backyard garden
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:51:52 -0700

Brock Anderson,

Hard to find something that won't grow in Los Angeles. As far as perennials
-most all Mediterranean, Coastal Chaparral and Subtropical species work very
well -as will most low-chill Temperate plants -you can find blueberries,
apples, persimmons and peaches there.

Highlights include Figs (of all kinds), Macadamia nuts, Mango, Passion
fruit, Pomegranates, Sugar cane, Canna edulis, dozens of Citrus, Avocados,
Bananas, Mulberries, White Sapote, Cherimoya -and other annonas -(cherimoya
can be espaliered!), Butia palms, timber bamboos, water chestnuts, Eugenias,
Capulin Cherry -too many more to list -even just of the favorites!

Check: California Rare Fruit Growers for ideas and nursery/growers. *www.
crfg.org *

Check: Theodore Payne Foundation for Wildflowers & Native Plants *
www.theodorepayne.org*

Of course most annual vegetables will perform very well. I like waffle
garden designs and a little light shade.

Yes -rainwater is perfectly fine for gardens -even in LA...

If you need help with design, procurement and/or installation feel free to
contact me for a list of Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course
Graduate-Landscape Architects, Landscape/Gardeners and/or Contractors.

*L.Santoyo*
www.earthflow.com*
6th Annual Los Angeles Permaculture Design Course -October 08*

On Sat, Apr 5, 2008 at 11:13 AM, Brock Anderson <brockanderson@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I have a client in LA who wants a veggie garden in her backyard and
possibly a rainwater system. I´ve mostly worked in the tropics so i´m not
familiar with what plants permaculturists are using in the LA bioregion.
Can someone give me some ideas for a backyard permaculture garden in LA?
Also, given the high level of pollution in LA air, is it possible to use
rainwater in the garden? Thanks a million!