permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Market Farming mailing list - available forthose interested

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Margaret & Steven Eisenhauer" <eisenhauerdesign@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Market Farming mailing list - available forthose interested
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:51:56 -0400

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help with a bird problem. Last season I
planted Zia Maze and the crows dug up and ate just about every seed. I am
considering using bird netting to keep them off the planting area until the
corn is a couple inches high. Problem is the mesh is expensive and time
consuming to manage. I know there are products to treat the seed to make it
unpalatable but I wonder how that would effect whether I could call the crop
organic and how the treatment would affect the soil and crop biology. Any
ideas?

Cheers!