permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reed beds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reed beds
  • Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 08:35:15 +1100

Have you ever worked with phragmites? The stems have an exceptionally hard
and brittle wall with hollow centre - to use in cob would be quite
impractical - it doesn't have the same or even vaguely similar qualities to
straw. The leaves, possibly, but it would be very labour intensive to
separate from the stems and you'd need to spend some time curing and
preparing it to a suitable size and texture for such use.
robyn