permaculture - Re: [permaculture] small cooking woodstove

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] small cooking woodstove
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 18:55:43 -0400

Scott Vlaun wrote:

We have a footing under our kitchen for a masonry furnace with a small oven, but no time or funds to complete it at this point. If anyone has good plans for such a heater that will fit on a 9x3 ft footing I'd love to hear about them.

How would you be able to locate a masonry woodburning stove with chimney on
a slab 9' X 3'? With an appropriate flue liner, or masonry stove equivalent,
you would automatically be up to a minimum of 4' width most probably, IOW too
narrow
for what you want to build. Given that it will extend through one full floor
plus attic, add more for
clearance above ridge of roof, a lot of weight will be involved. Does your
9X3 include a footing around the perimeter?
If not, you'll need this feature for loadbearing strength. This will be a grade beam or monolithic slab. If you need to extend the dimensions and thickness of your slab or add footings you can use a hammerdrill with 5/8 or 7/8 masonry bit to make horizontal holes around the permieter of the slab or anywhere else you need to connect the old slab to new concrete added to increase dimensions. Cut short lengths of 1/2" or 3/4" rebar to put in these holes with enough length to extend well into the new area to be poured. Add heavy gauge concrete reinforcing wire mesh and plenty ot rebar adequately tied. Use 6000 psi concrete with fiber reinforcing. Be sure to prepare the new footings by digging under the edge of the existing slab so new concrete will go under it for added weight bearing capacity; the rebar pins should add strength to this by preventing settling.

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
lflj@intrex.net