permaculture - [permaculture] FW: Green Washing clothes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] FW: Green Washing clothes
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:17:54 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Trudie Redding
Sent: Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:17 PM
To: 'permaculture'
Subject: RE: [permaculture] Green Washing clothes

I have been washing all my clothes by hand for many years, got in the
habit when I was broke and found that it is a ritual that has a calming
effect on me, I get to get wet, go barefoot, horse around the yard, play
music loud and dance with wet sheets as partners! my clothes seems to
last a long time too, and I have a grey water line for the sink. And a
clothesline on the porch keeps the clothes from getting faded. The dog
blankets I wash right at the rainbarrel in the yard and I can rinse and
rinse, I've been using the same box of soap powder for more than 2 yrs.
I keep it in tin can and "serve" it with a wood ice cream spoon. I think
of the personal energy expended and it is similar to bicycling but with
the arms!
Most of the people in the world have done this all their lives!
Makes you really think twice about putting any dirty clothing on the
floor, makes it dirtier!
Trudie