permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Green Washing clothes

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Green Washing clothes
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 15:17:12 -0500

I have been washing all my clothes by hand for many years, got in the habit
when I was broke and found that it is a ritual that has a calming effect on
me, I get to get wet, go barefoot, horse around the yard, play music loud and
dance with wet sheets as partners! my clothes seems to last a long time too,
and I have a grey water line for the sink. And a clothesline on the porch
keeps the clothes from getting faded. The dog blankets I wash right at the
rainbarrel in the yard and I can rinse and rinse, I've been using the same
box of soap powder for more than 2 yrs. I keep it in tin can and "serve" it
with a wood ice cream spoon. I think of the personal energy expended and it
is similar to bicycling but with the arms!
Most of the people in the world have done this all their lives!
Makes you really think twice about putting any dirty clothing on the floor,
makes it dirtier!
Trudie