permaculture - Re: [permaculture] reduce pesticide use by the ton and oil-based fertilizer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J Kolenovsky" <garden@hal-pc.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] reduce pesticide use by the ton and oil-based fertilizer
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:39:24 -0500

Paul, I fired away with an impulse of "a sense of urgency" and no
brains. No, not revolutionary but educationally. Revolutionaries get
dragged away in the middle of night, never to be seen again. Or, a tree
unexpectedly falls on them. Through the children, based on personal
sweat equity and experience, this works! People are stupid, lazy, fat
and ignorant. What Sean said in his email in Vol 55, Issue 27 was good.

"... if your experience is that your food comes from the grocery store
and your water comes from the tap, you?ll defend to the death the system
that brings those to you because your life depends on it. If, on the
other hand, your food comes from a landbase and your water comes from a
river, then you?ll defend to the death that landbase and that river,
because your life depends on them."

C'mon igmo people. Get a grip. Your life (or your child's life) will
become so radical that you will upchuck. Lokk back at your grandparents
and great-grandparents. See how well they lived off the land and
provided for themselves. See how they produced little or waste (personal
and lifestyle-wise).

When oil becomes scarce, it will interesting to see how oil-based
fertilizer is produced and applied to fields of the world. I have a
feeling that food production on a non-organic basis will be radically
different.

This was my response to Larry calling it revolutionary. Hi Larry.

Yes, Larry, demonstration sites and areas of attraction on the natural
side. People are like clones, homo see, homo do. My naturescape habitat
is certified by State of Texas, National Wildlife Federation and listed
in the American Garden Museum. It is a great demo site. I have built
habitats for schools and working with NWF assisted them in teaching
teachers the value of a habitat. I also gave about 24 native habitat
presentations a year. Demonstration by attraction is the best way to go
as well as hitting up the children. Double-barreled approach. We have an
organization, www.urbanharvest.org that has over 150 school vegetable
gardens.

Massive widespread education will help convert and there will be fear
mixed up in all this.

So...thanks for your comment. It helped clarify my stand.

For organic, natural, native data (as well as works) on habitats, see:

www.hal-pc.org/~garden
www.celestialhabitats.com

J. Kolenovsky
(former V-P, Native Plant Society of Texas)
with fruit from Orange, Lime, Lemon, Papaya and Mango
and lots of honeybees

Message: 2