permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Community Building

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marjory Glowka" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Community Building
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:22:14 -0500

To me, it starts with being committed to a place. Building community is organizing speakers to talk at the communtiy center about peak oil, sustainable farming, alternative currencies, solar panels, and whatever other topic a good speaker can be found. Organizing gardening classes and wild plant walks. Encouraging bartering and trade with neighbors. Porlucks demonstrating solar ovens, twig stoves, tree pruning, raw foods, mini-cows or whatever.. Supporting a local coffeee shop or helping to set up a neighborhood supper club. Offering a site for a permaculture course. Helping farmers, herbalists, healers, intentional communities, and homesteaders to move into the area. Participating in local clubs and organizations of interest - little league, 4H, Wildlife Mgmt groups, cemetary associations, church events, volunteer fire department rallies, etc. . Getting neighbors together to visit local farmers. Using services from local businesses whenever possible.

I am certainly not ready for Maori style conflict resolution, although my heart wishes it. But I am working to create the ground for it so my children or grandchildren can.

Marjory