permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: toby@patternliteracy.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Democratic solutions to Permacultures conflicts?
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 12:48:25 -0400

I think the "top down" model is inherently a problem for permaculture. I
suspect that the strongest national organizations grow from the bottom up.

I have some small and successful experience in organizing, most recently, the
Oklahoma Food Cooperative. In the beginning, I wrestled with the idea of
"who am I to get this started"? I answered that by saying to myself, "I am
the one who plants seed." The first thing I did was start a listserv
discussion group, and I sent a message to all Oklahoma area groups and
listservs that I thought would be interested.

This began a cyber-discussion, which led to a series of meetings held across
the state. Each meeting elected a representative to an organizing committee.
The organizing committee began to meet every month, and within six months we
had decided on our cooperative form of organization, and began selling shares.

I think that the cooperative model (speaking of the legal structure known as
a cooperative) has a lot of appeal for a national permaculture organization.
The Oklahoma Food Cooperative has been self-financed from the beginning by
the sale of member shares (at $50/each), and through commissions paid by the
producers and customers who use our service. We the Oklahoma Food
cooperative see ourselves as a service to these producers and customers.

The downside is that donations to cooperatives are generally not tax
deductible, but one advantage is the sense of actual ownership and
responsibility that comes with owning "one share of the Oklahoma Food
Cooperative". I have heard that in some states it is possible to organize a
"non-profit cooperative", but I don't know about the tax deductible status of
such groups. One of the other local food cooperatives in another state that
is following our model is organized as a "non-profit cooperative", and I will
check with them to see if they are eligible for 501-c-3 tax deductions.

Another thing we could think about might be a series of workshops to work on
a permaculture design for a national permaculture organization. This would
have the advantage of supporting diverse, grassroots involvement. Through
the design process, many questions about the organization could be developed
and answered, and its structure, purpose, financing and etc could be
described. A dedicated listserv for the purpose could be established to
support the on-going development work. Just as with a regular PDC, people
could pay to attend these workshops, thus providing financial support for the
development process. The design could even be done as a "distance learning"
event, such as the online Barking Frogs permaculture design course I have
been involved with the past two years. This would allow people with travel
and time issues to participate.

I personally think the "lineage" aspect of permaculture is one of its
strengths. I suspect that while holding to core PC principles, each lineage
has its own unique take on the subject matter and its application. A
workable, effective, national permaculture organization would reflect the
great diversity of the permaculture movement. One way to do that would be to
identify the present teaching lineages, and then invite those lineages to
appoint people to work on the permaculture design process for a national
permaculture organization. Indeed, the eventual national board of directors
could be elected by the present teaching lineages..

Finally, it may be that the reason that we don't have a national permaculture
organization at this time is that "the time remains premature". Succession
works in invisible structures, just as it does in meadows, prairies, forests,
and permaculture projects. Jump-starting succession is always problematic,
so that may have something to do with the problems thus far. Perhaps the
time is ripe, though, for movement to a next stage.

Bob Waldrop, tadpole in training