permaculture - [permaculture] quarter acre in size

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Diver <steved@ipa.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] quarter acre in size
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:27:35 -0400 (EDT)

In the thread "Definition of area measurement; quarter acre
in size", I suggested that list participants calculate how many
rows and beds of vegetables and crops you can fit inside
a quarter acre..... a dacha garden, a rood, a country garden
in size.

It's a practical excercize that could lead into spreadsheets,
garden planning guides, tables, and crop enterprise budgets
that you'd want in a permaculture toolbox.

Along these lines, I call your attention to this classic book of
agricultural acreage measurements quickly estimated by stepping
off land in yards, published in 1856, that starts off with the
following pithy text:

"The content of land is estimated in acres, roods, and perches,
forty of which perches make one rood, and four roods make one
acre."

The Farmer's Land-Measurer, or Pocket Companion: Showing, at
One View, the Content of Any Piece of Land, from Dimensions
Taken in Yards. With a Set of Useful Agricultural Tables
by James Pedder
C.M. Saxton Pub Co, New York. 1856.
Making of America (MOA) collection
http://www.hti.umich.edu/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=moa;idno=AJQ8020.0001.001

This book is part of the Making of America (MOA) collection, which
offers page-views of digitized text.

Steve Diver