permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Lawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Lawn
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:53:42 -0700

There is still quite a bit of green space around the building to make the farmers (who are the owners of the coop) happy.

If we are interested in being able to dialog with those living the dominant paradigm, then understanding the nature and depth of people's attachment to lawn is critical. A lawn makes individuals feel like they can understand and control the land -- perhaps the only part of their life where they feel that kind of power. The education required to understand and steward the land is daunting compared to running a lawn mower. like someone coming out of an american education system expected to speak and read hebrew. If what we are taught and conditioned to think of as 'taking care of your property' (AKA the land) is an abomination, then what does that say about us, and the relevance of our knowledge base, and the meaning of all that work we have put into lawns. Same goes for folks trained in chemical agriculture.

Vaguely related -- Lawrence passed a link to an interesting article a while back on group patterns (specifically internet groups). Within the article, a clinical psychologist was cited as describing how groups in therapy undermined their shard interest. Three patterns emerged:
1. sex talk - thankfully limited here.
2. deamonization of other - because we are different to them and they are evil.
3. deification of doctrine - because what makes us a group is SOOO special

Paul Cereghino