permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Definition of area measurement; quarter acre in size

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kenneth Benway" <ken@arcadiandesign.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Definition of area measurement; quarter acre in size
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 00:07:51 -0400

Lawrence
Concerning domain name/dotcom issue, there is a very successful
web host company from Canada called SiteBuild and others with similar
products. Their focus is search engine optimization and they produce
remarkable results with domain names that on the surface seem strange.
Sitebuild has consistently supported sites that score in the top 20% in
terms of traffic generated on the net. Their focus is generating traffic
to your site and they are real good at what they do.
I know what you mean about the .com I wanted being taken. I've
tried to buy some really good names and the owners have refused to sell
them even though they are not using them. Sad but that's the way it is.

I agree with you that any permaculture course should be as
comprehensive as possible and include all aspects you mentioned, if any
components are missing then the effectiveness of the course is
diminished. From my own personal experience the best courses involve a
specific project or site and provide students with audio, visual and
experiential opportunities for learning. If I had a choice between a
classroom environment or an on site, hands on course I would always go
for the on site course. They are much more powerful. The advantage of
the classroom environment is that you can teach a multi bioregional set
of design methods that might be overlooked in a bioregional specific
curriculum. I was fortunate to attend a global course taught by Bill
Mollison and Geoff Lawton (October 2000 in Minden La) and consequently
was presented with a host of design solutions that would enable me to go
anywhere on the planet and be effective. We also did a site specific
design project which was great.
Perhaps a combination of the two is the best approach.
Regarding Dan and Cynthia Hemenway, yes I have met them and
quite frankly I found Dan somewhat of a recluse (he would agree with
that) and he prefers to use an online course approach and be left alone
to do his thing, and that’s o.k.
Anyway I've really enjoyed our dialog and hope to talk with you
in the future.
Thanks
Ken