permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Honeybee die-off threatens food supply - Yahoo! News

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: lbsaltzman@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Honeybee die-off threatens food supply - Yahoo! News
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 09:54:43 -0400

Here is evidence that some in government are paying attention. I got this
e-mail from my U.S. Senator, Barbara Boxer:

Dear Friend:

Bee colonies across the nation are in serious decline. This
new, unexplained condition has become known as Colony Collapse
Disorder.

It is estimated that about a quarter of the 2.4 million
commercial bee colonies across the nation have been lost just
since last autumn, and in some areas the loss is almost 90
percent. The impact of this loss is enormous because bees are
the primary pollinators of much of the nation’s food crops. In
California, producers of almonds, apples, alfalfa, avocados,
blueberries, citrus, tree fruit, and watermelons, among many
other crops, depend on a healthy bee population for crop
pollination.

While new, preliminary evidence suggests that a fungus may be
causing or contributing to the remarkable decline in bee
populations, scientists agree that much more needs to be known
about what is killing the nation’s bees.

I recently joined with other Senators in urging Secretary of
Agriculture Michael Johanns to immediately focus his
Department’s efforts on determining the causes of Colony
Collapse Disorder and developing appropriate countermeasures to
combat it. We also asked that a plan be developed to restore
the health of the beekeeping industry in the United States.

Bees help to pollinate more than 90 commercial crops and
contribute more than $14 billion of added agricultural value
each year. Action is needed now to ensure the health of both
our bee population and the agricultural crops that we depend
upon.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Dear Friend:

I am pleased to offer a new “Take A Step” tip to improve our
environment and stop global warming. These tips are designed
to allow everyone to take a step in their daily lives for a
better world. A collection of these tips may be found at
http://boxer.senate.gov/takeastep/index.cfm .

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

TAKE A STEP: ADJUST YOUR THERMOSTAT

By moving your thermostat down by just 2 degrees in the winter
and up 2 degrees in the summer, you could save about 2,000
pounds of carbon dioxide each year, the major cause of global
warming, and save money in electricity or gas each year. When
replacing your thermostat, install a programmable thermostat
and heat or cool only when necessary. Replace your air filters
regularly for maximum efficiency.

Take a step and adjust your thermostat for savings.

For more information on Senator Boxer's record and other
information, please go to: http://www.boxer.senate.gov

To respond to this message, please click on the following link:
http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/email/feedback.cfm . This link
will take you to a webpage where you can respond to messages
that you receive from Senator Boxer’s office.