permaculture - [permaculture] frozen trees--report of beginning of recovery in Missouri

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] frozen trees--report of beginning of recovery in Missouri
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:02:04 -0500

I went for a hike yesterday and the hills were brown for mile after mile,
with just dots of green here and there. I saw a mother redtail on her nest in
a huge old oak tree, and when she flew away I saw two downy heads popping up.
Like all the oaks, the tree had been frozen and was leafless. I wondered if
they were more susceptible to predators since they were more visible with no
leaves on the tree.
But today, in my yard, I see that almost all my big oak trees have some
little beginning of recovery. It's spotty, and they look better on the lower
branches than the upper ones. They do not look robust by any stretch of the
imagination, but most of them have at least some leaves the size of
squirrels' ears or larger. Has anyone else seen any recovery? Kathy, USA
Midwest

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net