permaculture - [permaculture] Frozen Trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Frozen Trees
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:42:38 -0700 (PDT)

I asked the same basic question to a yahoogroup I belong to, specifically
asking if this freeze is followed by a severe drought this summer, could the
trees that froze still survive.
Most replies said that trees have evolved over eons to handle such extreme
stress, up to a point, and that this freeze has probably not exceeded the
trees evolutionary ability to adapt. I guess we will just have to wait and
see if they come back this year. So far, some of the dead leaves have fallen
but there is still quite a bit left on the trees that were affected.
It seems the maples have handled the freeze much better that the oaks. I
have not noticed any of the frozen trees growing new buds yet. Sigh.

John Fritz, NW Arkansas, in the middle of the largest hickory/oak forest on
the planet, the Ozarks.

From: "Kathy Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>

In the Midwest USA, we had a bad cold snap a few weeks ago,
preceded by very warm weather. Everything had been blooming and leafing out,
and the new leaves and catkins and such were frozen. Now, 3 weeks later,
many of the large trees throughout our woodlands, oaks and sycamores
and hickories and more, look completely dead. Does anyone have experience
with this....will they come back this year or at least next? Thanks,
Kathy

Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.