permaculture - Re: [permaculture] "hibernation design"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hoog <livingpotentials@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] "hibernation design"
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 15:50:40 -0700 (PDT)

Stephanie---The Japanese used to do this all the time.Specifically designed
for this, the outer chambers would be gradually closed off or minimally used
with only the central core room with a fire to heat being the winter living
space. i used to have a small book on traditional Japanese architecture
which showed a number of those designs but could not find it in a quick
search in my room. if i come across it i will let you know. There are some
designs at www.home.worldcom.ch/negenter/410japhousetxe1.html but they
are not exactly like the ones i saw in my book.----steve hoog

Stephanie English <steph.english@gmail.com> wrote:
Greetings friends,
Has anyone out there built, or owned, a home that is designed for winter
"hibernation" -- sealing off summer sections of the house to conserve heat
in a smaller core space for the wintertime? I'd like to hear about your
design, see photos, get recommendations on what works and what doesn't, etc.

Stephanie in chilly western NY/PA