permaculture - Re: [permaculture] GE-guide-to-measuring-HGT.pdf

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <listmail@lorendavidson.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] GE-guide-to-measuring-HGT.pdf
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 18:41:03 -0700

At 8:15 PM -0500 4/4/07, Tommy Tolson wrote:
Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
Tommy Tolson wrote:
See if this works. The attachment method did not work for me.

All attached files in messages posted to this list are removed
before appending to the archives and sending out to subscribers.
Pretty obvious why: people attach huge files sometimes (big problem for most)
and viruses can be propagated this way. In future I will set up a blog and/or wiki where you all can post your documents
and graphical files, but you will have to register for access (no problem there either, no work, no spam, etc., unlike
myspace).

This file may facilitate critical mass in organized resistance to GMOs. It tells in no uncertain terms that we do not have a clue what we're
doing and we have no way of telling the effect we're having on the
genetic structure of the natural order, which is of critical importance,
I think, to Permaculturists. I suppose a virus could attach itself
somehow but the pdf file came through my firewalls and software and left
clean. I'm not a hacker.

With all due respect...nobody is accusing *you* of being a hacker.

The list stops *all* file attachments, regardless of their perceived political or socio-ecological importance or where they come from. Sometimes virii attach files to outgoing email without the sender knowing it. Virii spoof email addresses. It's possible to get a virus attachment ostensibly from a trusted list subscriber, without it a) coming from the subscribers machine and/or b) the subscriber knowing about it. Happens all the time. Stripping file attachments off emails stops these things at the server before they go out to 500+ unsuspecting subscribers, who might in turn unknowingly propagate the things.

I am all in favor of no file attachments to mailing lists. It's just too easy a way for virii and spam to propagate.

Take a deep breath, relax, and go with the flow. If you think it's *that* important that people have the opportunity to read your document, post it online somewhere and post the URL to the list.

Respectfully,

Loren
--
Loren Davidson listmail@lorendavidson.com