permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: J Hobbs <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture in viticulture
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:10:20 -0700

Hello Chuck,

I have been working with vineyardists assessing Best Management Practices for the past 6 years. Last year I visited 75 vineyards in two months (observing the sites when the berries were on the vines). In many cases, grape growers in Oregon and Eastern Washington are mono-cropping with small compensation zones of mixed species outside the crop rows.

I am in the beginning stage of writing an On-Farm Biodiversity Resource Guide: For Dry lands, Uplands, & the Maritime Northwest for an eco-labeling organization called Salmon Safe. My intention with this publication is for it to be an educational tool to support farmers in the design and implementation of specie diverse hedgerows, inter-plantings, and/or buffer zones within a variety of settings. There will be separate lists of plants that are easily grown in the areas mentioned and I'll design several guild templates that can be introduced to encourage biodiversity within the cropping systems. There will also be resource lists of nurseries and websites for further information. My hope is that this Guide will be available by mid-June.

I have not seen all inclusive permaculture principles being part of the vineyard system-- though since it is a drought tolerant plant it is an appropriate crop to grow on our southern slopes, cover crops are planted to limit erosion, and most apply very few chemicals.

btw: One of the most delicate wine bouquets I ever tasted was from a vineyard that grew lavender at the end of every crop row.

Jude
Agro-Ecology Northwest
Eugene, Oregon
541-342-1160