permaculture - [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-rela

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-rela
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:49:16 +0000

I've been a vegetarian for nearly 30 years and I think that if one wants to eat animals then permaculture is the best method by which to raise them. It's the factory farming methods that create high animal population densities that are responsible for the high methane output.
Vegetarianism alone may not reduce animal populations. In India there are hundreds of millions of vegetarians but they still have huge numbers of cattle. I've read a book on 'going back to the land' by someone who recommends a vegetarian diet, but he still recommends that his readers keep domesticated animals, I guess for manure, etc. I think that people should try to keep as few animals as possible. I prefer to keep no domesticated animals, not even as pets. I try to follow the Nearings in this regard. I'd prefer to spend time mulching or planting trees than taking care of animals. The Nearings grew most of their own food on their homesteads in Vermont and Maine. In both locations they chose to garden on a patch of yellow clay. Neighbours told them they could not do it without animals. They succeeded nevertheless.
It takes less land to grow a person's food requirements for a vegetarian diet than for a diet that includes meat. Land shortages will reduce consumption of animal foods dramatically as human populations continue to rise.

Charles.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/