permaculture - Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "mossmans" <mossmans@internode.on.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:59:43 +1000

Lawrence asked,
>Can we, acting collectively, actually make any difference?
>Is it for generations hence to deal with or should we start now?
>What do we do?

One answer:

The number-one thing everyone can do is to eat lower on the food
chain. We could reduce greenhouse gases by about half within a year
or two by stopping the breeding and eating of livestock.,

My thoughts:

I often wonder why no one takes our advice, when we promote such radical
solutions to global warming. (vegetarianism)

Perhaps we should temper it by saying that there are many things you can do
individually to make a difference, and provide the information and help to
do it.

And yes, reduce the meat you eat, or at least purchase or grow meat locally,
but if we are saying that vegetarianism is the only solution, no wonder no
one is listening to us.

I love meat, but now have reduced it to about 3 meals a week. I don't eat a
lot of fish, because fish are becoming more endangered.

Animals give us more than just meat - manure, fibre, leather etc, so it
would be hard to replace all those things immediately.

Sue

climate change due to pollution-related global warming

lawrence asked,
>Can we, acting collectively, actually make any difference?
>Is it for generations hence to deal with or should we start now?
>What do we do?

The number-one thing everyone can do is to eat lower on the food
chain. We could reduce greenhouse gases by about half within a year
or two by stopping the breeding and eating of livestock.

mailman/listinfo/permaculture