permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture ideas for refugee camps

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture ideas for refugee camps
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:13:22 +1100

A few permaculture folk have worked in refugee camps, especially Cambodia
back in the '90's.

The vegetable gardens were very empowering and gave people some hope they
could provide at least some basic needs. Also most ration food consists of
grains and some canned foods so fresh veg was real treat and support for
health. In tropic climates fast growing fruits such as banana and papaya
will bear within 18 months and are worth inclusion, plus fast-growing
leguminous shrubs (pigeon pea, ipil ipil) for coppicing for a mulch source.

Good to get some fast growing annuals started early in the piece like leafy
greens so people have something to harvest within a few months - builds
confidence.

One person I know who worked in a Cambodian camp identified skills present
and built things into the program like constructing water urns for rainwater
harvest. Ultimately it's about marrying need, potential, oppotunity and
resource availability with creative permaculture thinking within the context
of climate and culture, working with the people and integrating traditional
knowledge and skills with permie strategies.

Ciao

Robyn