permaculture - [permaculture] Eastern Mass - Permaculture Implimentation Meeting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: coldestsnow@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Eastern Mass - Permaculture Implimentation Meeting
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:56:26 -0500

Permagra is a new group forming a land trust...

We are asking those interested in practicing permaculture locally to attend
a public committee meeting in Essex, Ma.

As a group we are now studying perennial species published in Jacke's EFG
Vol. 2. We hope to gain knowledgeable opinions and experiences in designing
polyculture groupings for use in an existing forest edge/meadow/grasslands
habitat. We also welcome the less knowledgeable who are willing to learn as
well as those interested in playing an active roll in managing our Trust.

We will be proposing, discussing and evaluating many polyculture groupings.
Fruitful timing and use of a 3 story canopy are major factors. We are
planning to plant these different polyculture groups in separate "zones"
designated by sunlight saturation. These groupings should be based on 3-5
plant inter-relationships and focus on edibles, but also incorporate browse
and graze to favor animal guild rotation of the zones. Plant hardiness can be
zone 2-8. Our plan is to implement the finalized polycultures immediately;
currently Permagra manages 54 acres in Essex and has a goal to manage 300+ by
this time next year. Most of the property has been untouched or 15-50+ years
and is protected as conservation land.

We will also be discussing any research or experience regarding perennials
tolerance to salinity of soil water.
Specifically Genus: Vitis.

If you would like to propose a polyculture grouping to be discussed and
planted please feel free to email me personally with any questions or ideas
so that your grouping (guild) can be on the charts.

This project may be the largest scale edible forest garden implemented in
New England; there is going to be a learning curve here.

Permagra group is meeting publicly for the first time on
Sunday March 11th, at Noon. (daylight savings time changes this day)

Held at: 130 Eastern Ave. Essex, Ma 01929

Lunch and refreshments will be provided; donations welcome!

I'd love to hear about any ideas you all have!
Looking forward to your replies and hope to see you all there.

Joe Rueter
Permagra Founder
734-717-5307
Check out the new AOL. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security
tools, free access to millions of high-quality videos from across the web,
free AOL Mail and more.