permaculture - [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] So what do you really think about long term climate change due to pollution-related global warming
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 01:21:28 -0500

Warming to worsen droughts, floods, storms this century: UN panel

by Richard Ingham Fri Feb 2, 8:34 AM ET

PARIS (AFP) - UN scientists have delivered their starkest warning yet about global warming, saying fossil fuel pollution would raise temperatures this century, worsen floods, droughts and hurricanes, melt polar sea ice and damage the climate system for a thousand years to come.

In its first assessment in six years, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) dealt a crippling blow Friday to the shrinking body of opinion that claims higher temperatures in past decades have been driven by natural, not man-made, causes.

><><

What do you really think about this?

Can we, acting collectively, actually make any difference?

Is it for generations hence to deal with or should we start now?

What do we do?

Can this list help?

Can the global permaculture movement, through its leaders, make any
difference?

What kind of media resources would help make positive change?

What kind of voice should we have and what should we say and where and to
whom?
blog?
website?
videos?
audio?
publication?

What about getting the entire renewable energy, green architecture and
sustainable agriculture
and permaculture movements to put together a list of things they would like
to see happen,
changes, new projects, education, new practices.

After reading environmental news for years it begins to sink in that much of the world may have a pretty nasty climate in a hundred years or so and peole then may say "why didn't they do something about it back then when they had the opportunity"?

What is needed is not a new world order or a global governing body but a
World Stewardship Organization.