permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Edges - Re: permaculture and science

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Edges - Re: permaculture and science
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 09:52:08 +1100

Edge effect is not a permaculture invention or new age superstition, it's a
recognised phenomena in the science of ecology--the technical term is an
ecotone. Whereas ecologists simply observe and record the diversity and
productivity of naturally occurring edges, permaculture takes it a step
further and consciously builds it beneficially into design. Many of the
common production-system edges employed in permaculture can be found in
traditional and indigenous systems.

And everything is relative, oceans and landmass are big systems with big
edges, smaller systems will have smaller ecotones. This starts to get into
the arena of fractals and patterning, the understanding of which is
intrinsic to good design.

Ciao
Robyn