permaculture - [permaculture] Spirituality that bounced

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Scott Pittman" <scott@permaculture.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Spirituality that bounced
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:46:45 -0700

For me the Permaculture Ethics say all that is necessary in terms of a
spiritual comment. Beyond that and one gets sucked into different dogmas
that not only contradict the pc ethics and encourage a homocentric view of
creation.

If I were to choose a religion it would be Animism which accepts all of
creation as holy, including people, but doesn't have a bunch of judgments
and consequences tied to a list of patriarchal laws of do's and don'ts.

Spirituality as reflected by most of the main stream religions has been the
leading edge of colonialism, imperialism, and creating a culture of self
loathing among those who are resistant to the "call". It has been in the
name of spirituality that indigenous people are taught to be ashamed of
their bodies, to come to believe that they are stupid, and forced to abandon
the sustainable practices that have guaranteed their survival for centuries.

So any "organized" spirituality group makes me shudder. Ones personal
relationship with spirit and the spirit world is another thing and should be
shared or not shared among the willing. My own spiritual beliefs are as
private to me as are my intimate relationships with other humans.

Their has always been a tacit understanding that one cannot spend much time
in zone five without being affected in a deep and abiding way by the
experience. This is the biophilia that is necessary if we are to heal
ourselves and the world. Permaculture is very explicit about biologos and
implicitly allows each of us to arrive at biophilia on our own.

Scott

Scott Pittman
Permaculture Institute