permaculture - Re: [permaculture] To Cut or Not to Cut

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] To Cut or Not to Cut
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 09:31:39 -0600

Dear Classmates (Gene & Kirby), Keith too,

I feel transported back to Glenn Rose, Texas. My son is grown and married
and my daughter is off to college this fall. We are now all old! On to
hackberries.
1. I do not think hackberries fix nitrogen, though I may be wrong.
Hackberries are in the Elm family, Ulmaceae, and are of the genus Celtis.
2. They produce sweet edible berries loved by wildlife, especially migrating
birds. Native Americans made a meal of the berries in the fall.
3. Hackberries are considered "trash" trees here in Texas, even though they
are very useful.
4. Hackberries are usually a secondary successional species and are able to
withstand allelopathic chemicals from primary successional species. A good
example is hackberries growing under junipers (a nurse tree, but toxic to
most species) in the eroded Texas Hill Country. (Remember Bill M. made this
observation in class!)
Thoughts
1. My wife, Mindy, feels a guild of Hackberry and Fig only works when the
hackberry is young. She'd remove the mature hackberry and start a new
sapling.
2. Figs do best with some shade, at least here in south Texas. Since there
can be intense sun for 8-12 hours in the summer, the fig likes a break. Figs
will thrive with full sun exposure though as Keith recommends.
3. Figs in Houston, TX have relatively short production lives, 20 years or
so, so I would make cuttings and start new fig trees regardless.
4. Hackberries do not usually make it past 100 years, and here in the city,
50 years is considered old. They tend to break at the limbs or along the
trunk and do damage to structures, so proximity to a structure is a
consideration.
My recommendation
Leave the two trees alone since you enjoy them. Make more cuttings of the
fig and plant them where there is more sun. Kirby stated both
recommendations first. If the hackberry threatens a structure either prune
it judiciously or take it down. Life is short, enjoy what grows around you,
especially if it is unplanned!

Kevin Topek