permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Wikipedia's Permaculture Problems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Graham <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • Cc: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Wikipedia's Permaculture Problems
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 14:51:05 +0000

Hi Larry, probably I didn't express myself too well last night as had
after all imbibed a few fine ales!

What I meant by my comments was more that permaculture is a set of
ethics (earthcare, peoplecare, fairshares), principles (work with
nature, problem is solution, minimum effort:max effect, everything
gardens, or Mr Holmgren's newer definitions) and design methods (zones
and sectors, OBREDIM, input and output analysis, making links and
connections etc, etc). Specific tools and techniques (such as say, herb
spirals, no dig beds or creating forest gardens) on the other hand may
be used within permaculture frameworks but are not, as of themselves
'permaculture'.

On the permaculture introductory courses that I run I start with a
session called "What is permaculture?" wherin I get particpants to talk
about various problems encountered in cities, and possible solutions,
eg;
Problem; lack of access to good quality, locally grown organic food -
solution; get an allotment
Problem; lack of economic power caused by unemployent, low wages, etc
Solution; Join a LETS system
Problem; lack of decent transport links - Solution; Create safe cycle
networks
Problem; lack of access to green space - Solution; create community
gardens on unused urban space
Problem; Waste and polllution - Solution; Set up community composting
and recycling projects.

We discuss these ideas for 20 or 30 minutes, talking about what good
ideas they are and sharing personal experiences of involvement with such
ideas.

I then make the point that these are 5 excelent solutions to 5 problems,
but they are NOT permaculture...

BUT when we begin to make links and connections, eg, situating allotment
and veg growing beds in the community gardens, sell excess produce via
LETS, set up bicycle trailer delivery systems to drop off veg and take
away green waste for composting, etc, etc, these 5 ideas and strategies
become ELEMENTS WITHIN A PERMACULTURAL SYSTEM.

In other words, tools, techniques and strategies aren't of themselves
permaculture, they are simply elements and its how they are linked and
connected with each other that defines whether they are part of a
permacultural system.

Hope thats clarified my thinking a little...

Cheers Graham

--
Graham Burnett

Integrated Design for Local Environmental Resources

www.spiralseed.co.uk