permaculture - Re: [permaculture] rock powders

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] rock powders
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:54:10 -0500

Charles de Matas wrote:

No system of "agriculture", even organic, is perfectly sustainable. One cannot prevent soil erosion completely. If mulch and compost materials are brought in from another site we are depleting that site. Mulch or compost

Unused feed hay, manures and other nitrogenous industrial byproducts will
often go to waste and
even be a source of pollution if not cycled into some agroecosystem. Landowners/farmers/homesteaders/gardeners should make an effort to scout their immediate region for sources of soil amendments and fertilizers. Dairy farms, meat
livestock operations, hay producers and horse farms usually have materials
that can be obtained for reasonable prices.
Dairy farms offer manure, baled hay, new or spoiled, rotten sileage or straw
manure. Quarries offer a variety of very
finely ground rock powders good for soil tilthing and soil feeding. There's no better way to recycle these byproducts than to introduce them into a different type of farming system or for land improvement.

Did you know John Cropper who was on this list years ago? I think he lived in
Trinidad.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm
lfl@intrex.net
info@market-farming.com
IM: lawrence.london@pandion.be & lfl@amber.org.uk
Market Farming
http://market-farming.com
Venaura Farm, sustainably-grown produce & garden handtools
http://market-farming.com/venaurafarm
Venaura Farm Blog
http://venaurafarm.blogspot.com/
Venaura Farm Gallery