permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Edible Ornamentals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: neshura <neshura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Edible Ornamentals
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:14:04 -0500

I would guess that it is not just the fact that the ornamentals
varieties aren't bred for flavor, but also the fact that they might be
well-doused in pesticides to achieve their ornamental beauty.

On 11/15/06, Pat Meadows <pat@meadows.pair.com> wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 15:59:57 +0000, you wrote:

>Hi all, first a quick apology for having my email autoresponder on for a few
>
>days, Its off now.
>
>My query is regarding the new spate of ornamental plants which are
>related to vegetables.
>For example ornamental peppers (Capsicum salsa & Capsicum carnival),
>ornamental miniature oranges/lemons and the ornamental cabbages etc (such as
>
>the Kamone Red ornamental Kale).
>A feature that interests me about these plants particularly the peppers is
>the prolific fruiting rate for a plant in such a small pot. However they
>come with stickers saying they may be harmful if eaten!
>Is this just a standard safety sticker to cover the manufacturer against
>someone stuffing a load into their mouths or are these plants genuinley NOT
>edible? I have tried looking it up but after wading through masses of info
>on how to make pepper salsa, I am still no closer to finding info on the
>actual SPECIES Capsicum salsa. Part of this problem apparently is that with
>ornamental varieties, manufacturers break with scientific naming convention
>and can basically call the plants whatever they want!

I don't think those are genuine species names. There are no such species.
I think those are just names made up by the developers of the plants.

So far as I know, all Capsicums are edible. But maybe not.

Pat

-- Northern Pennsylvania
'Every one of us can do something to protect and care for our
planet. We should live in such a way that makes a
future possible.' - Thich Nhat Hanh