permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Typhon aka Kohlrabi?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rrandall1 <rrandall1@houston.rr.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Typhon aka Kohlrabi?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 16:33:31 -0600

I have grown typhon--usually spelled tyfon. It is a Brassica closely related to the turnip but mainly is used as fodder or green manure. Not very good. Kohlrabi's are stem vegetables with delicious flesh making a good cuke substitute in winter here--eat the stem ball above the soil. Quite different. Bountiful Gardens sells tyfon

Brassica rapa “Tyfon”
An edible green manure. Highly nutritious, productive, very fast growing crop. Can be grown in all parts of the country. Extremely winter-hardy to 10 degrees at least, and bolt resistant. If harvested by cutting back, several cuttings can be made at 30 to 40 intervals. Best cut when young and tender. Mild flavored, can be used in both salads or cooked. Mowing to the ground kills it. 30-60” high if allowed. 800 seeds.

Bob Randall