permaculture - Re: [permaculture] putting the garden to bed AND ANNUAL AG IN GENERAL

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Cereghino <paul.cereghino@comcast.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] putting the garden to bed AND ANNUAL AG IN GENERAL
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:24:09 -0800

Neshrua,

I swear I saw it again when I was shopping for cover crop seed the other month which is why it popped into my head. Its going to drive me nuts, but I checked my usual sellers and didn't find it again... My rememberance of typhon (and it's been over a decade) has merged with all other wildish mustards; much better grown cold and sweetening after frost, quick to bolt under stress and heat. Both Territorial Seed Co. and Abundant Life Seed used to carry it but apparently neither does any more. If I find it again I'll pass it on... sorry :(

Abundant life still carries 'corn salad' - a winter hardy dutch bitter green that I have broadcast sown in September and I have visited folks that broadcast raddiccio with some success.
http://www.abundantlifeseeds.com/stores/1/Category_C49.cfm

Paul Cereghino
Olympia, WA

neshura wrote:

- Typhon is a winter cover crop you can eat. Lots more for mild winter
folks.

I'm not familiar with this and didn't find much when I googled it,
except "Typhon, a Chinese cabbage-turnip hybrid, performs best under a
multiharvest system." Would love to hear more, especially if you have
seed sourcing information.

Thanks!