permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Pollinators crash]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Pollinators crash]
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 00:31:46 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Pollinators crash
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 23:15:35 +0100
From: John D'hondt <dhondt@EIRCOM.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Researchers wonder where all the pollinators have gone
Losses imperil plants, and maybe, the food supply
By John Donnelly, Globe Staff | October 19, 2006
WASHINGTON -- Pity the honeybee, hummingbird, and bat.
And possibly us.

What struck me this year is that all wasps (V. germanica)nests for miles
around here died off in mid summer. I heard that this seems to have started
last year in other areas.
Larvae at different stages of developement were present with adults to feed
them and then in a short time the whole nest died out adults and larvae
together. I checked on some twenty paper nests and found all extinct with
insects dead inside. Cause unknown.
I would like to find out if anyone as seen something similar.
John in Ireland