permaculture - [permaculture] [ipc8] International Permaculture Conference 8 Newsletter 2

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson <lakinroe@silcom.com>
  • To: permaculture-oceania@lists.cat.org.au, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, ppg@lists.riseup.net, eastbaypermaculture@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] [ipc8] International Permaculture Conference 8 Newsletter 2
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 06:05:17 -0700

IPC8 Secretariat
Rua Fortaleza, 201 sala 12
Bairro Adrianopolis
Manaus, AM Brazil
CEP 69057-080
telefax: 55-92-32490459
website: <http://www.ipc8.org>www<http://www.ipc8.org>.ipc8.org <http://www.ipc8.org>

Dear Friends and Amigos,

This is an update to some of the IPC8 organizing activities underway and some of the results. First the news of the website:

- The Conference theme "Complementary Economics" has been kindly written by our own Dr. Margrit Kennedy and tri translated and posted on the web. Check it out. It´s when information becomes good medicine.
- Likewise, the International Course information has been written and translated and is about to be posted on the web. Sometime in the next week or so the Conference site location and other information will be posted too.
- An official IPC8 travel agency has been selected and this material too is being translated and will soon be posted. Similarly, hotels are being selected.

Several long backbreaking meetings have been held regarding the Conference: the process of structuring the three panels is developing a greater clarity and articulation. In thinking about what we are trying to do, there are four different groups: green economists (of whom there are six different types), permaculture people, banks and business. I have been thinking about who can speak most easily to whom and what we want to get from each other, and I think the critical factor is the banks. Businesses already understand the importance of a sustainable future. What is not clearly understood is that banks have begun to open their doors to a green economy, but what we need is for them to understand that the real issue is not about green products, but about systemic thinking, including the whole community that goes around any one product. Banks fund the business cycle, so they have to understand this systemic thinking. So we need a powerful language with which they can resonate. Maybe not today but maybe tomorrow that can be Permaculture.

The Banking panel will have reps from the World Bank, HSBC, ABN, Banco do Brasil and several others. They will present the moves that they are taking and it would be wise for us to listen to them because our role will be to empower and inform decision makers of the principles of permaculture design. Actually, deep waters notwithstanding, some of these behemoths are making promising noises.

At the same table will be the Grameen, Permaculture Credit Union and Messrs. Bernard Lietaer, Margrit Kennedy and Stephen DeMeulenare. This should be fun!

The Business panel will host a variety of business ventures that have sustainable goals and specific criteria and are making remarkable progress. Once again, our role will be to empower and inform.

The Innovation panel will be our opportunity to present a few permaculture projects and innovations of scale happening around the world. For this I need your information. Permaculture projects per se can be presented during the Convergence, but here, for the Conference, we need scale and data that will stand scrutiny. So please write in. At present, the work of the venerable George Chan is on the table.

To date, no work has been done on the work of developing the Convergence other than site selection. This needs to start soon.

Finally, the last point, and this is important. Will everybody please start preregistering as soon as possible? This will be an enormous help. We need to get an idea of where we are at with everything.

Ali Sharif
IPC8 Coordinator

8th International Permaculture Conference and Convergence
Brazil ~ May 2007
http://www.ipc8.org

  • [permaculture] [ipc8] International Permaculture Conference 8 Newsletter 2, Wesley Roe and Marjorie Lakin Erickson, 08/29/2006