permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....manure

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pet wastes....manure
  • Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:27:24 -0400

Charles de Matas wrote:

There are millions of tons of useful livestock waste created each year.
Look at all the different methods of composting this material that are used:

I agree, I think we should use animal manure when it is easily available. My land is close to a chicken farm, and I would like to make better use of the manure that I could get there. Unfortunately my pickup has been having all kinds of mechanical problems this year and I haven't been able to transport much manure. The few bags I bring up in my car I use in compost piles. But I'm interested in ideas for using larger amounts.

Hire a local trucker to haul it for you; the farm will probably have a loader.
Make sure no arsenic has been added to the chicken feed; otherwise forget
using that manure
and start loking for another source. Find a rock quarry local to you and hire
a trucker to haul
some pond fines (very fine rock dust) to your farm. They usually give this
material away. You
can get a MSDS on their fines if you're concerned about the chemical makeup
of them.
Hire someone with a loader or rent one for a day and mix the fines with the manure. Let it compost for a while, until the mix smells sweet, then put it on your gardens.

LL