permaculture - [permaculture] Property for sale

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Jackson <sidgeydog@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Property for sale
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 13:07:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
I've been living and working for the past season on an
old conventional apple orchard in Barre, Vermont USA.
I was just informed by the owners this past weekend
that they are planning on selling the property. It's
five acres and includes the main house and several
outbuildings. I think it would be a great opportunity
for anyone looking to create a community or
institution. The owners do hope that whoever
purchases it continues to preserve the orchard and
create something positive from it. The main house has
five bedrooms, and an attached 2 bedroom apartment.
There are also two separate apartments on the
property, as well as plenty of storage space, and a
studio/workshop which has been retrofitted with a
passive solar design. While there, I worked on
pruning, scything, and biodynamic treatments, as well
as intensive vegetable production. I've also been
doing site assesment and observation for future
designs. The owneres still have not firmed up a
price, but have expressed that they are not planning
on making a killing off of it. They've chosen to sell
to finish restoring other properties they have and
retiring at their lake house.
The neighborhood is been pretty developed, with large
suburban homes, but the site stands out as an oasis.
Barre is a blue collar city, famous for it's granite
industry. The orchard is about 7 miles from
Plainfield, a small village known for it's eccentric,
progressive vibe, and about 10 miles from Montpelier,
Vermont's capital.
Anyway, I just wanted to put this out there because
I've put a lot into the site and don't want it to see
it face the same fate as the other farms have there.
I can't afford to do the whole thing myself, but would
be interested in working with others there. If anyone
out there is interested, write me back or call me at
802-999-5247. I'll send out more info and some
pictures in the future.
Thanks,
Chris