permaculture - Re: [permaculture] butterfly conservation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kai Vido <kaivido@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] butterfly conservation
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 02:43:56 -0700 (PDT)

Related to the issue of biodiversity conservation, and butterfly restoration
in particular, I
quote Dr. Henrik Jorgensen of Denmark:

"Although haymeadows are man-made biotopes, they typically contain
surprisingly rich plant and
animal life. With few exceptions, those in Denmark have been abandoned and
now grow tall, coarse
vegetation or are turned into forest plantations of mostly conifers.

"Experiments with restoration have shown that, with renewed hay cutting, it
is possible to regain
a remarkably high degree of biodiversity. In one example of a Danish forest
meadow of less than
one hectare [2.4 acres] that was abandoned shortly after World War II: after
ten years of correct
management it now hosts 144 species of vascular plants, compared to 70
species at the outset of
restorative cutting (many of which were very scarce and clearly disappearing!)

"In the zoological record of this meadow are 5 species of reptiles (the
number known in Denmark),
7 species of amphibians, 18 species of damselflies and dragonflies and 23
species of butterflies.
For instance, in his article "Butterflies of the Forest Meadow" (p.34 in
URT), leading Danish
lepidopterologist Michael Stoltze, who works for The Danish Society for
Nature Conservation,
states: 'There is no doubt that restoration of haymeadows or even the
judicious mowing of very
small areas is highly beneficial to many of the most threatened Danish
butterflies.... The reward
for the restorative effort comes relatively fast because butterfly
populations can sometimes react
so quickly.'"

For more on the meadow restoration efforts underway in Denmark, the Czech
Republic, Wales and
elsewhere, and why scythe-mowing is the best restoration method, please see
the photo essay at:

http://scytheconnection.com/adp/biodiv/index.html