permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Multiple digging without so much work.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Chris Jackson <sidgeydog@yahoo.com>
  • To: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Multiple digging without so much work.
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 10:42:38 -0700 (PDT)

Broadforking is another option in this debate.
Jeavon's touches on it in the old copy of the book I
have of his. I know that Johnny's seeds sells
broadforks designed by Eliot Coleman. Another good
book is the Vegetable Gardener's Bible by Ed Smith
from here in Vermont, which has a similar philosophy
to Jeavons, such as making raised beds and planting
patterns, and has lots of info on how to use a
broadfork.
Since I didn't have one this season, I took his other
recomendation, which was to add compost and deepen
with a pitchfork. It took time, but it was easier
than double digging. We're also blessed with some
pretty nice soil.
Chris