permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hardy banannas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: hannah brumerskyj <han_ysic@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hardy banannas
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 14:42:22 +1000 (EST)

I think the sugar banana or lady's finger is a mit more towards the hardy
end. I know it grows well in Sydney Australia, but not sure how it would go
in frost. It usually fruits the second year I think, so if it kep dying off
that wouldn't be much good.
Hannah

Forest Garden <forestgarden@gvtc.com> wrote:
Speaking of banannas...

Anyone have any insight into varieites of banannas that are more hardy? The
zone I live in fluctuates between zone 7- 9. I don't mind doing some work
to protect from cold, but am looking for as cold hardy a variety as possible
just in case (you know how you don't always get around to all those chores
you hope to?).

Sincerely,

Marjory