permaculture - [permaculture] deer fencing - Mother Culture vs. Mother

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "J. Kolenovsky" <garden@hal-pc.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] deer fencing - Mother Culture vs. Mother
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:40:52 -0500

Sean, I wish I had your eloguence, foresight and knowledge. Then perhaps
my paltry comment s would not construed as fearmongering. You made some
good points. If there is anyone else out there who thinks I was fear
mongering, my apologies as I was not and don't believe in that venue but
rather believe in stark, naked truth of inadequate current man's place
is on this earth. Oil consumption is, as you said, a turbocharger off
the cliff and I believe, a precursor for Permaculture..

You quoted this, " Peak oil is a waste of time when it is not
accompanied with the fact that we belong to Earth, not the earth belongs
to us.". To me, this seems where Permaculture will come into play,
either before the crash or as a result of the crash. It will not occur
in 1 year. Frankly, I don't know nor think anyone else knows how long it
will take all this for this to come down the pike. In my simple mind, I
feel that the return to Earth (so to speak for lack of intelligence)
will be forced onto mankind as a result of greed, control, indifference,
ignorance and that by longevity will lead mankind to believe that
Permaculture teaches rhizome and egalitarian ideals. This is where I get
my idealistic {or does the word "utopian" count, (I need to look it up)}
feelings of the expected things (no cars, no planes, no or few fossil
powered equiptment, no fertilizer, Post-Carbon dieoff, etc) to come when
the Post-Carbon Age is all over us like a cheap suit.
See, in my simple mind, this is where I see Permaculture rise to fame.
If there are sorry s.o.b.'s out there who won't change and adapt to
egalitarian ideas, then let them suffer and die. I'm sure some
percentage will survive. As Jerry Jeff Walker, Waylon Jennings and
Willy Nelson sang about Luckenbach, Texas, "Let's get back to the basics
of love". Love for the earth we walk and live on.

Yes, on the eternal timeline of Earth, 150 years of Big Oil is just
hardly a blip on the screen. People in the future will look and say,
"Those were the good old days" or "What did they do that for and what
were they thinking?". I hope the latter is true. Glad I won't be around.

p.s. - Sean let's talk off-line sometimes.

Message: 3